1957 – The rock wall and livestock
A curved section of the stone fence near the entrance, looking northward toward the stock shed.
The Limestone Fence – constructed 1870
Native limestone block and rubble wall laid up under terms of the 1867 fence bounty law for one dollar per rod. The wall runs north to south along the east side of Highway 177, beginning just south of the Crocker Creek and continuing on to the south section line, a distance of .7 of a mile. Running from north to south the wall breaks for a corral gate, for the driveway, and for the sidewalk that leads to the Main House.
The wall is three feet high and is constructed using three different treatments. The wall which runs south from Crocker Creek to the main driveway and defines the corral section of the ranch is made of random rubble stone and finished with flat laid rubble stone, the wall which runs south of the main driveway to the field and defines the residential section of the ranch is made of flat laid cut blocks and finished with the same, and the wall which runs south from the field line to the section line is made of random rubble stone and finished with upright rubble stone.
The wall identifies a physical and historical boundary between the ranch and the highway.